Friday, November 25, 2005

Flight and arrival in Narita - Tokyo

The flight started at 8am on Thanksgiving day. Landed in St. Paul MN for a couple of hours, then onto a 747 to Narita-Tokyo's new airport, landing at 4:30pm on Friday. Tokyo is about 13 hours ahead of EST.

I exchanged my 2 weeks train pass for a JR PASSPORT and started using it right away. After an hour and a half on the Narita Express, disembarked in the NW neighborhood of IKEBURUKO, and thanks to a stranger, managed to find my hotel.

As many of you know, there are no street signs here. Maps are pretty good, but even the best of them are difficult to decipher at first.

My hotel room is small, but very modern. I have to tell everyone about my bathroom; it is amazing, but will have to be described in person.

My first meal was a ramen soup in the vicinity of the hotel. I left my coat at the hotel, as the weather is mild here. The noodle shops here require that you pay upfront via a machine, get a ticket, and the staff orders for you. Very interesting.

And since I hadn't slept in a day and a half, had to crash immediately.

No comments: