Wednesday, July 07, 2010

1st impressions of the International Poetry Festival and Medellín

First of all: I am so happy that it's cooler here, after a week of 36C in NYC.


The flights were without any issues. As you may be aware, in this part of the world, it's sunset at 7pm so we landed in the dark, with an overview of the valley where Medellín is situated. 
It's a large city, population is 2.4 million. 


The airport reception was very well organized and warm, same at the hotel. I was handed a package and a late dinner was waiting for us.


Everything is pretty much Spanish but I was able to understand how to open the hotel room (wand action) and set my mini-vault, so I am ahead. We have several young translators with us all the time. There is a woman assigned to reading my work in Spanish throughout the festival and I can't wait to meet her tomorrow. There will be a press meeting in the morning, then the festival kicks off.


Citibank, Hooters are here [!] otherwise it's reminiscent of my last trip in the region, and Barcelona, with palm trees, beautiful weather, tropical flowers and fruits, warm people and very friendly atmosphere. The hotel has all the amenities, including free Wifi. The Botero museum is nearby.


My welcome package had a poster, a t-shirt, festival brochure with my readings highlighting my five appearances in Medellín, plus the closing ceremonies where I will read just one poem. There is also an additional side trip to another festival in a small town called Santa Marta which will involve a plane ride on the 16th to this northern part of the country.


When I arrived, one of the poets from Venezuela, Gustavo Pereira, was amongst the guests waiting for the van to get us to the hotel, and when I introduced myself he informed me that 30 years ago he had been invited to Yerevan by the Writer's Union. It's a small world!

No comments: