Friday, December 03, 2004

Marrakesh Continued

First of all, must say I miss the intense atmosphere of Fez el Bali. Marrakesh is too modern (more internet access, a few feet away from Jemaa al Fna no less), and the only place I saw too MANY DAMN TOURISTS who look like they are spending a week-end in Ibizza :-)

The flat area in the city allows everyone to easily navigate via bikes and motorbikes. It's cool to see the local women riding too.

The flat area could explain why there are many tourists of all ages (children with their parents, all the way to the golden age). It is also a place where I saw many handicapped Morrocans navigating easily in wheelchairs.

The crafts are amongst the best I have seen so far, and the prices are much higher than Meknes and Fez. My guidebook suggests I visit the local "Ensemble Artisanale" where the prices are more or less fixed. I plan to do that tomorrow.

This morning after dropping my suitcase at the hotel, and while waiting for the room to be ready, I took a cab to the famous Koutoubia, a glorious tower at the edge of the Medina, from there walked past the gardens and horse drawn carriages to the Jemaa al Fna. The courtyard is being repaired, so there aren't many merchants selling orange juice or dried fruits such as dates and figs.

Zig-zagged through the souks -- and there are several here -- towards the North, and to the beautifully restored Musee du Marrakesh. It is a home, with several exhibits of contemporary art and a collection of pottery from Fez ( far better than what I saw in that city and better displayed).

I had my first couscous because it is tradionally eaten only on Fridays, then headed back to the hotel to check in and have a siesta -- remember I hadn't slept all night.

In the late PM, headed to the Hamam in a local Riad Omar, where a women scrubbed me clean, gave me a massage and I came out feeling magnificent. I might get another one on Sunday or later on in another city.

Will call it an early night, feeling much too relaxed after that Hammam.

Cheerio

No comments: