Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Meknes, Volubilis and departure

Running to catch the train to Fez, so this one will be brief.

On Monday I checked into the hotel, after saying goodbye to Aicha, and spent the afternoon in the valley where Volubilis, one of the southern most Roman cities existed. It's only 35 minutes away with private taxi. The major industry in Volubilis (aka Walili), as seen in the archaelogical ruins, was olive oil. The oil before the Oil, in other words.

Today, I walked all over the Medina, and bought my first item, a Berber rug, absolutely gorgeous. Had lunch with Pierre, a fellow traveller, who was with me in a local Madrassa, then tea with Aicha and family, before heading to the train station.

Will update the Blog from Fez. All is good. I am staying at the Ibis hotel for 2 nights and can be reached there.

No comments: