Saturday, November 27, 2004

Casa continued

Lots of cellphones in Casablanca. Red taxis too, each town having its own colour coded taxis. The sound and car pollution is pretty bad.

Continued with my visit to the old Medina, towards the food stalls and clothes; have a few nice pix.

The older and some of the younger women wear the traditional jellaba; must say it looks very comfortable. It's quite warm for me, but most people are covered up. Young men and women walk hand in hand or arms interlocked.

People are mostly nice, some older men are a pest: ignoring them is a good way to avoid any issues.

Visited the Place des Nations-Unies, Mahomet V, large crossroads with beautiful gardens around. Saw two exhibits: the graphics of Mehdi Quotbi in a local bank's gallery, then the fibre arts of Soumiya Jalal Mikou, at the Villa des Arts. It got dark around 5pm, so I didn't finish the Art Deco house hunting.

After dark the city was bustleting with people rushing home -- quite a traffic scene -- others getting haircuts, shopping. This is why I like to travel by myself; to witness humanity, talk to people and so forth.

I seeked refuge in a nice Salon de The (I only go in if I see women inside), had my first mint tea -- delicious. Listened to a few Italian and French pop songs from the 70s :-)

Feeling quite refreshed I started walking around but wasted about an hour looking for a restaurant recommended by the guidebook but it was closed. I was very tired by then, so I proceeded to eat at a hole in the wall, which was a tenth of the cost of my lunch!!!

After dinner watched many French dubbed episodes of Alias and when jet lag woke me up -- a few torch songs by an Egyptian singer followed by al-Koran el-Kerim closing signing off the station.

This was my first day in Morocco.

No comments: