Friday, March 23, 2007

Day three: walking and hiking

The concert last night was a pleasant diversion, Robert Schumann´s piano and choral music, and I sat near a German couple. We had a nice chat about the city and music in general -- first time I speak so much German in years!!! (One hears a lot of Italian and German in Barcelona´s touristic center).

I thought I´d take it "easy" today, to give my feet a rest, and just do one thing. Well it turns out that the Miro Foundation and its surrounding Montjuic Park are HUMONGOUS and it was a two hour hike to just get there, luckily well worth the fresh air and the view. The Miro Foundation has a very nice collection, much larger than the Picasso and Tapies ones here, and includes some sculptures in bronze and other media.

A highlight was to take the teleferic down to the beach, which is within walking distance of my hotel.

Weather wise, it was also the best yet, although it got chilly once again after sunset.

In the evening I met up with Carlos and Maria, an Argentinian couple, she of Armenian heritage, who have lived here since the early 80s. He´s a translator and she´s a university professor. We chatted for a few hours and then walked around. I met them because they corresponded with me about an Armenian author, and coincidentally they live in Barcelona.

Tomorrow, I hope to do some shopping and visit Park Guell, the grounds surrounding the home of Gaudi, the creator of La Sagrada Familia, the basilica.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice day:) Let me know how was the shopping. The weather in New York is nice today. Hopfully it will stay warm and get warmer.

Keep on enjoying your trip
And thanks again for sharing everything with us.

Best
C&T