Saturday, March 24, 2007

Day Four: Another hike

But before I proceed with today´s agenda, I must say, I had the best food yet last night. I dined at the Restaurant and Social Club for the Basque, Euskal Etxea. For all those who believe there is a connection between the Basque and the Armenians, take that theory right out of your mind.

Friday night´s mood was quite festive. While I was dining, a band was practicing and a group of thirty somethings were learning some basque dances in a room in the back. The front part, the bar, was jam packed with people eating small appetizers and drinking their worries away.

I had a salad with goat cheese, stuffed baby squid with black ink sauce and vegetable couscous, and some 2001 Merlot from the Navarro region. The waitress just popped the bottle in front of me, and asked me to help myself: for the record, she just charged me for a glass.

Today, I felt a little homesick, as I realized that the post office gave me the wrong stamps even though I stated that the postcards were intended for the USA. I turned on my iPod for the first time, and went to Park Guell, a forest in another hilly part of town. It is a UNESCO world heritage site, where one can see more views of Barcelona from high up. I walked uphill to the site of three crosses, the highest point, then down to Gaudi´s house, and around heading out towards the mosaic zoo.

This time though no teleferic ride to the beach -- I had to walk 1.2 kilometers AFTER leaving the parc to get to the next metro station.

In the afternoon I headed to the MACBA -- museum of contemporary art of Barcelona, but the temporary show was not of interest so I checked the bookstores there and around the university faculties. The art gallery next door had a show on the Danish painter Hamershoi, but I had seen the show in Paris and New York.

I got my mother a book on Gaudi, and looked for some ceramic tools, but no luck.

I headed for a short mass in Catalan, to say a special prayer for a friend of mine who is sick. I know she´d appreciate it. Catalan is quite different from Spanish, but I was able to grasp some things being said. The music was quite soothing and it was a little rest before heading to the internet cafe and tonight´s dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lola, you should publish a book with all your writings. Earlier I was reading the ones that you wrote while you were in Armenia. They are so interesting(and the ones from Barcelona are longer, which I like) and very very well written.

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, I am going to post a comment every day, so you will know that I am waiting for the next day to read your new post. It is so nice to know what have you been doing and eating in Barcelona that day:)