Thursday, March 22, 2007

Blogging in Catalan on day two

I am not fluent in Spanish, far from it, but this is a bilingual town, and Catalan is closer to French, so I am doing my best to channel the multilingual knowledge bank and making my way through Barcelona.

I started a second walking tour today -- very different from yesterday´s -- concentrating on the Modernism period. The tour walks you through all the different chichi neighborhoods where Gaudi and his contemporaries build modernist edifices in the beginning of the 20th century. Some are totally crazy!!!

After lunch, I went to the Antonio Tapies Foundation. This contains the library of Tapies, some of his work including annual contributions, and a space for other artwork, which contained a video series entitled B Zone: On the Margins of Europe. I was very much touched by the story about a man, trying desperatly to seek asylum only to be rejected time and again by various European countries.

This reminds me of the editorial I read on Tuesday in the International Herald Tribune regarding the new form of slavery. More on this later, if I can reread the original piece.

Nothing tops a visit to La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi´s incomplete masterwork, which after 125 years is a work in progress (yes, workers were inside and on the job). This is a beautiful cathedral and I had to walk around twice, and will need to visit the Gaudi house on another day.

Tonight I am attending a piano recital at the Palau Musical Catalana.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lola jan,

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing about your time in Barcelona. It si so interesting to read. Thank you. I am so happy that you are having great time there. Can't wait to have you over:), so you can tell us everything in details.

Enjoy!