Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Last day in Calcutta

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The morning consisted of a visit to the Armenian College, founded in 1821 in Calcutta. Thackeray was born there in 1811.

A program in both Armenian and Bengali was presented by the schoolchildren who recited poems in both languages, danced Indian classical dances and performed an Armenian play by Gevorg Emin. I think they had the most fun with the fast paced Punjabi dance.

Afterwards guests were able to visit the newly renovated parts of the school. Lunch was in the cafeteria followed by my farewells to everyone.

I caught a taxi to the domestic terminal. At the security desk, a female guard did a tafteesh while another one checked my boarding pass; the latter asked me “Are you Indian maam?” to which I answered “no, I’m Armenian” and seeing her blank stare added “I’m Western Asian”.

No comments: