Thursday, November 22, 2007

Day 1 - JFK to Caracas

I woke up at 1:30 am to get to JFK in time for a 5:30 am flight. The plane was very full and overstuffed with overhead baggages that could have been checked. This caused a bit of a delay, but we made it on time to Panama City, where after an hour´s rest, I caught another COPA flight into Caracas. The second flight was less crazy. My brother and sister in law picked me up, and after a short coffee break, we drove into one of the craziest traffic jams I have ever seen.

A late meal, introductions to the new cats, and reacquainting myself with the older cat, we all went to bed for an early ride back to the airport and our trip to CANAIMA NATIONAL PARK.

First impressions of Caracas: noisy, 6 million inhabitans, lots of shanty towns, and most of all unsafe. I doubt very much I will be able to walk around town or visit the city university which is in the world heritage site.

My brother and sister in law´s apartment is in the Alta Mira section of town, with private security, high on the hill. We dined al fresco with a beautiful back drop of the city as our view.

No comments: