Sunday, October 15, 2006

1st day: looking around the town



I have finally arrived.

The 2nd leg of the flight on the Aeroflot Topolov went well. It was an old plane, but very well piloted with a perfect touchdown at around 3:30am.

I arrived at the new wing of the airport, paid $30 for my gorgeous visa, and after dealing with the taxi mafia arrived at the Ani Hotel for my very early rendez-vous.

My hosts are very nice people. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am renting another place and not the one previously mentioned on Abovyan.

I am staying at 8 Sayat Nova street at the apartment of (late) playwrite Grigor der Grigoryan, across the street from the Ani Hotel. It's a spaceous 1st floor apartment with large French doors, fully furnished living-room and dining room with an upright piano. There are lots of paintings in it, including a painting by Henry Elibekian dated 1976. The author's study is still filled with his books, caricatures and a spare bed.

I had a very long nap, and met up with my friend's son to give him his gifts. We had a Khorovats meal (my first solid food today), and started scouting for internet cafes. Myrthe recommended RENCOM, but the address was still in my emails.

I've informed all my contacts of my new coordinates.

Tomorrow's program: Paradjanov Museum.

No comments: